Thursday 15 January 2015

Free Writing Assignment:

Free writing can be difficult. When you factor in a vast question, like "what is writing," the task becomes even more difficult. It took me a while to synthesise my thoughts, as random words flew into my head. At first, I jotted down words to describe writing (particularly my own writing).

  • words
  • messy words
  • creative
  • or not
  • books, journals, articles, diaries, letters, blogs, etc.
But as I wrapped my head around the topic, my thinking became more coherent, and the words began to flow.
  • Writing can be anything you want. It is fully open. There are limitless forms of writing which can be used to convey meaning, express, influence, entertain, bring about emotions, and excite. Or you can make your writing boring. It's your call. 
  • You can get completely lost in writing, taking you and potential readers to places as far as your imagination will let you go.
  • When I think about writing, the word structure immediately comes to mind. But the structures of language and writing are not rigid, they are flexible, and they are made to be bent, broken, and remade. I think about how words can take on new connotations, I think about how new words are made, and I think about how writing is constantly evolving as a result.
Clearly writing is what you make it out to be. There are no limitations to how far your writing can go.

1 comment:

  1. I love your work of synthesis here Neil, especially how you emphasize that the structures of language and writing allow for the birth of something new!

    ReplyDelete